We are one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world, playing one of the most popular spectator sports on Earth. Through our 136-year heritage we have won 62 trophies,including a record 20 English league titles, enabling us to develop what we believe is one of the world’s leading sports brands and a global community of 659 million followers. Our large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media & mobile, broadcasting and matchday. We attract leading global companies such as adidas, Aon, General Motors(Chevrolet) and Nike that want access and exposure to our community of followers and association with our brand.
Our global community of followers engages with us in a variety of ways:
- During the 2012/13 season, our games generated a cumulative audience reach of over 3 billion viewers , according to the Futures Data, across 191 countries. On a per game basis, our 54 games attracted an average live cumulative audience reach of 47 million per game, based on the Futures Data.
- Approximately 5 million items of Manchester United branded licensed products were sold in the last year, including approximately 2 million Manchester United jerseys. Manchester United branded products are sold through around 200 licensees in about 120 countries.
- Our products are sold through approximately 10,000 doors worldwide.
- Due to the power of our brand and the quality of our content, we have formed mobile telecom partnerships in numerous countries.
- Our website, www.manutd.com, is published in 7 languages and over the twelve months ended June 30, 2014 attracted an average of approximately 47 million page views and approximately 5.7 million unique
visitors per month.
- We have a very popular brand page on Facebook with over 53.0 million connections. In comparison, the New York Yankees have approximately 7.9 million Facebook connections and the Dallas Cowboys have approximately 7.0 million Facebook connections. Furthermore, Apple and Google, which
were ranked first and second on Interbrand’s ‘Best Global Brands 2013’
survey, have 12.5 million and 17.6 million Facebook connections, respectively.
- Premier League games at our home stadium, Old Trafford, have been sold out since the 1997/98 season. In the 2013/14 season, our 28 home games were attended by over 2 million people.
- We undertake exhibition games and promotional tours on a global basis, enabling our worldwide followers to see our team play. These games are in addition to our competitive matches and take place during the summer months or during gaps in the football season. Over the last 4 years, we have played 21 exhibition games in Australia, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, Thailand and the United States.