We are one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world, playing one of the most popular spectator sports on Earth. Through our 135-year heritage we have won 62 trophies, enabling us to develop what we believe is one of the world's leading brands and a global community of 659 million followers. Our large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media & mobile, broadcasting and matchday. We attract leading companies such as Chevrolet, Nike and Aon that want access and exposure to our community of followers and association with our brand.
Our global community of followers engages with us in a variety of ways:
- During the 2012/13 season, our games generated a cumulative audience reach of over 3 billion viewers worldwide, according to the Futures Data. On a per game basis, our 54 games attracted an average live cumulative audience reach of 47 million per game, based on the Futures Data.
- Over 5 million items of Manchester United branded licensed products were sold in the last year, including over 2 million Manchester United jerseys. Manchester United branded products are sold through over 200 licensees in over 130 countries.
- Our products are sold through more than 10,000 doors worldwide.
- Our brand and content have enabled us to partner with mobile telecom and television providers around the world
- Our website, www.manutd.com, is published in 7 languages and over the last 12 months attracted an average of more than 62 million page views per month.
- We have a very popular brand page on Facebook with approximately 35 million connections. In comparison, the New York Yankees have approximately 6.4 million Facebook connections and the Dallas Cowboys have approximately 5.5 million Facebook connections.
- Premier League games at our home stadium, Old Trafford, have been sold out since the 1997/98 season. In the 2012/13 season, our 28 home games were attended by over 2 million people.
- We undertake exhibition games and promotional tours on a global basis, enabling our followers to see our team play. Over the last 5 years, we have played 33 games in Australia, China, England, Japan, Germany, Ireland, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Thailand and the United States.