We are one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world, playing one of the most popular
spectator sports on Earth. Through our 135-year heritage we have won 60 trophies, enabling us to develop
what we believe is one of the world's leading brands and a global community of 659 million followers. Our
large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant
revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media &
mobile, broadcasting and matchday. We attract leading companies such as Nike, Aon and DHL that want
access and exposure to our community of followers and association with our brand.
Our global community of followers engages with us in a variety of ways:
- During the 2011/12 season, our games generated a cumulative audience reach of over 3 billion viewers worldwide, according to the Futures Data. On a per game basis, our 54 games attracted an average live cumulative audience reach of 48 million per game, based on the Futures Data.
- Over 5 million items of Manchester United branded licensed products were sold in the last year,
including over 2 million Manchester United jerseys. Manchester United branded products are sold
through over 200 licensees in over 130 countries.
- Our products are sold through more than 10,000 doors worldwide.
- Our brand and content have enabled us to partner with mobile telecom providers in 44 countries and television providers in 56 countries.
- Our website, www.manutd.com, is published in 7 languages and over the last 12 months attracted an average of more than 62 million page views per month.
- We have a very popular brand page on Facebook with over 31.8 million connections. In comparison, the New York Yankees have approximately 6.3 million Facebook connections and the Dallas Cowboys have approximately 5.3 million Facebook connections.
- Premier League games at our home stadium, Old Trafford, have been sold out since the 1997/98 season. In the 2011/12 season, our 25 home games were attended by c.2 million people.
- We undertake exhibition games and promotional tours on a global basis, enabling our followers to see our team play. Over the last 5 years, we have played 34 games in Canada, China, England, Germany, Ireland, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, Norway, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden and the United States.